Thursday 28 March 2013

Soundtrack

A song, good or bad, has the power to transport a person to a another time and place.  I recently heard a song on the radio that had me sitting in grade 6, my friend Lisa by my side, wearing my white denim overalls.  Extreme's More Than Words has that kind of power over me.  There are others as well.  Radiohead's Creep takes me to grade 9 in the cafeteria where the AV Club blared it everyday for a week.  I find myself dancing around my residence hall in first year university when I hear I Feel Like a Woman by Shania Twain (I shared a floor with some wild and wonderful women from the country).  When I hear Bedouin Soundclash's When the Night Feels my Song I think of my wedding day.  It wasn't played during the reception and holds no real significance for the day, but it was playing on the radio as we drove to the ceremony. 

Some songs and/or albums from my past are very pivotal.  The Barenaked Ladies album, Gordon, was the first compact disc I ever bought, making Brian Wilson a part of my history....like it or not.  That initial purchase led to many a pay cheque from Orange Julius to be spent at Sunrise Records. Other albums have acted more like background music, such as Creedence Clearwater Revival.  It seemed they played constantly throughout my childhood leaving me with a score of music to remember my crazy family days when I still lived with my parents and brother.  I am grateful for that.  When I am feeling nostalgic, I know exactly what to do (or rather play) to take me back to a moment of my life I care to think about. 

Music is important in our household; therefore, I am certain I will add some good songs, and some bad songs to my life's soundtrack.  But even if music isn't something you spend a lot of time or energy thinking about I am confident there are songs out there that mean something to you, or evoke a memory.  I am curious what songs stand out.  


2 comments:

  1. I think of you when I hear more than words too! Also, the song Laid by James weird I know but, you had it on a mixed tape (yep that's right) that someone made you and I remember us liking it and singing along in your bedroom on Niagara St.

    My friend Melissa, just sent me a text today saying that she was listening to a Morrissey song (Dagnahem Dave) that we would listen to over and over before we went out to drink/dance. Brought her back to our glorious 20's

    CCR was one of the many sound tracks to my childhood too! Along with Elvis of course ;)

    I love how music can transport you back in time! Great post Tasha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post .... Us Lincoln's like our Music

    ReplyDelete