Monday 25 March 2013

To Work or Not to Work...

Making the decision to stay at home with my kids for me was an easy one.  Ever since my first child was born I have been plotting to find a way to make it happen.  Now that I am at home (with a part-time job) I couldn't be happier.  Life at home is more relaxed and balanced.  Work, while necessary, has become almost fun.  Although this was a choice that I feel fortunate to have the opporunity to make, and although I know I have many years ahead of me to put that university degree to good use, I still feel apologetic sometimes.  As if somehow I've let down the women before me that paved the way for my generation to conquer the world.  On the flip side of that I also find myself critical of women who have chosen career over stay-at-home bliss.  Who am to I to criticize anyone?  I think that we, both working mothers and stay-at-home mothers, should be supportive of those choices.  Afterall, isn't the fact that we have the choice the important part?  At the end of the day the kids will be alright.  We need to stop the guilt, stop the apologies and feel good about our choices.

This "soap box" rant is a product of reading.  I came across an article in the Globe and Mail this weekend that is worth the read.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/alternative-advice-to-high-flying-women-lean-back/article10199024/

 

2 comments:

  1. I work full time out of necessity. I like my job and find it rewarding but it is the bonding time with my child and the sharing of precious moments that pass quickly that I worry about missing. I get up early to spend time with my daughter before work and make sure we always have time to sit and cuddle and talk about our day when I get home and most weekends revolve around making up lost time with her. I think most career women and men regret missing out on the day-to-day lives of their children. It's not what we buy our children but what we give of ourselves. Children only really want your time and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. And you make an excellent point that staying home versus working is OFTEN not a choice. I have no doubt in my mind that your beautiful daughter will grow up grateful for the love that you give her, and she will benefit from having a successful woman to look up to.

      Delete